Date: Complete before the workshop on 11 June 2020.
Unit contents: Use Zoom as a participant. Reflect on workshops you have given. Gather materials.
Duration: 10 minutes for reflection.
Before the workshop you will need to make sure that you have the IT you need.
- You may join the workshop events either from a computer/laptop that has both a webcam and a microphone, or with a smartphone/tablet.
- You must have version 5 or later of the Zoom app installed on that device.
- If you are using a computer, it must have a webcam connected (either internal or plugged in).
- If you are using a mobile device, you will need something to support it so that the front camera faces you while you are using your hands to do a task.
You will need to have the following when you attend the workshop:
- a small craft work in progress;
- a method of taking notes that you can use while your device is connected to the video conference session.
Using the Zoom video conferencing system.
Practice using Zoom before you attend the workshop:
- Download the Zoom application to your device (it has to be version 5 or later).
- Practice using Zoom. You can register for a free account using the link below.
Note that Zoom does not recognise the built-in camera for some laptops. If you find that is the case, use either the Chrome or the Edge Chromium browser and join the meeting the “join using browser” option rather than using the downloaded application. You can do less with the browser version that with the application, but it is better at detecting cameras on older systems.
Reflect on teaching workshops
Think of the last face to face workshop you ran. Make brief notes to remind you about:
- What was most useful to the participants?
- What did the participants have most difficulty with?
- How did you make sure the participants were following you?
- How did you know when participants were having problems?
- How did you help participants when they were having problems?
- What visual aids did you use?
- What took longer than you expected, and what went quicker?
Pre-workshop instructions for the workshop "Delivering Workshops by Video Conference".
|Handout for the workshop on "Delivering workshops by video conference".||78 downloads|
|Handout on suggested Zoom options for running workshops using the Zoom service.||65 downloads|
The next session will be an interactive Zoom session on 11 June 2020. This will start at 14:00 UTC (15:00 UK time, 10:00 EDT). See the link below to convert the time to your local time. Participants will be sent the Zoom details.